How to format a mailing list using Word 2007 or later
SUMMARYThis article demonstrates how to format an exported mailing list in Word 2007 or later. This is useful if printing mailing labels on labels other than the internally supported Avery 5161.
MORE INFORMATIONImportant The method below requires you have Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word installed on your computer.
Note: It is recommended to initially print the labels on blank paper to ensure the text aligns properly on the mailing labels.
- Click Lookup on the top toolbar.
- Click Extended on the top toolbar. The Search Field Setup window will open.
- Click the Reports button. The Saved Reports window will open.
- Click Mailing Labels by Site and then click Load.
- Click Load.
- Click OK to run the report.
- On the top bar, click Export.
Microsoft Excel will open.
- In Microsoft Excel, click on Edit->Replace.
- In the Find what box, type “-0000-000”. Leave the Replace with box empty. Click Replace All.
This will format the ZIP code properly.
- Click Close.
- Search the document and manually delete any blank rows.
- Click on File.
- Click Save As. In the Save as type list, choose “CSV (Comma delimited (*.csv)”.
- Browse to the desktop and click Save (if a File Format warning dialog appears, click Ok).
- Close Excel.
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click on Mailings->Start Mail Merge.
- Select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard….
- On the right-side of the screen, select Labels under Select document type.
- Click Next: Starting document.
- On the right-side of the screen, select Change document layout under Select starting document and then click Label options.
- Choose the appropriate mailing labels and click OK.
- Click Next: Select recipients.
- On the right-side of the screen, select Use an existing list under Select recipients and then click Browse....
- In the Select Data Source window, browse to the file saved in step 13 of this document and click Open.
- In the Mail Merge Recipients window, click on the column the labels t0 use for sorting and then OK.
- Click Next: Arrange your labels.
- On the right-side of the screen, select More items… under Arrange your labels.
- Double-click on the fields desired to be on the labels. The following are recommended:
- When all fields are selected, click OK.
- Edit the fields on the Word document so they are in a correct mailing format. Note: Verify there is a space between items on the same line. It can be difficult to see the lack of a space. Suggested format is:
- Click the Update All Labels button.
- Click Next: Preview your labels.
- Verify the labels are appearing in the desired format.
- Click Next: Complete the merge.
- Microsoft Word will show the first page of mailing labels.
- To see all pages, click Edit Individual Labels.
Still can't find the answer?