How to format a mailing list using Word 2003 or earlier
SUMMARYThis article demonstrates how to format an exported mailing list in Word 2003 or earlier. This is useful if printing on mailing labels other than the internally supported Avery 5161
The mailing labels should now print.
- Log into the program as a user with Administrator rights.
- On the top bar, click Lookup.
- On the top bar, click Extended. The Search Fields window will open.
- Click Reports to open the reports list.
- Select Mailing Labels by Site and then click Load.
- Click OK to run the report.
- On the top bar, click Export.
Microsoft Excel will open.
- In Microsoft Excel click Edit->Replace.
- In the Find what box, type “-0000-000”. Leave the Replace with box empty and then click Replace All. This step formats the ZIP code properly.
- Click File->Save As. The Save as... window will open.
- In the Save as type list choose “CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)”. Browse to the desktop and click Save (if a File Format warning dialog appears, click OK).
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- Click Tools->Letters and Mailings, and select Mail Merge.
- Under Select document type, click Labels and then click Next: Starting document.
- Under Select starting document, click Change document layout and then click Label options.
- Choose the appropriate mailing labels and then click OK.
- Click Next: Select recipients.
- Under Select recipients, click Use an existing list and then click Browse.
- Browse to the Excel file saved in step 11 and then click Open.
- Click OK.
- On the Select recipients screen, click Next: Arrange your labels.
- Under Arrange your labels, click More Items..
- Double-click on the fields desired for the labels. The following are recommended:
- When finished adding fields, click OK.
- Edit the fields on the Word document so they are in a correct mailing format. Note: Verify there is a space between items on the same line. It can be difficult to see the lack of a space. Suggested format is:
- Click Update All Labels.
- Click Next: Preview your labels.
- Verify the labels are appearing in the desired format.
- Click Next: Complete the merge.
- Click Print.
Note: It is recommended to initially printing the labels on blank paper to ensure the text aligns properly on the mailing labels
Still can't find the answer?