Filing a payment plan with IRS

Filing a payment plan with IRS

  1. Use form 9465 if you are an individual who owes tax on FRM 1040, or you may be responsible for a Trust fund recovery penalty, or if you owe employment taxes related to a sole proprietor business that is no longer in operation.

  2. Do not use form 9465 if you can pay the amount owed with 120 days, if you want an online payment agreement, or if you owe employment taxes and your sole proprietorship is still operational.

  3. The agreement is guaranteed for debts not more than $10,000 if the taxes owed by the taxpayer (and spouse) have been paid for the last 5 years, and the taxpayer agrees to pay the amount owed within the next 3 years, and the taxpayer is financially incapable of paying the amount before it is due.

  4. If you can pay within 120 days, call 1-800-829-1040 to arrange it.

  5. If you are bankrupt, call 1-800-829-1040.

  6. You can apply online to enter a payment plan if the amount owed is not more than $50,000. Go to IRS.GOV and enter “online payment agreement” in the search box.

  7. If approved, there will be a fee assessed and interest charges.

  8. See pages 2 and 3 at to see where to mail the 9465